POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? : Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 03:00:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Apr 2011 08:22:57
Message: <4da6e721@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > On 4/13/2011 15:38, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> >> Any recommendations? (or perhaps I overlooked a way to do it only
> >> with POV-Ray?)
> >
> > Something you can write in a portable scripting language that you can
> >  wrap up as a stand-alone executable for various common platforms is
> >  probably best. I use Tcl for that, personally.

>    Perhaps I didn't emphasize it enough, but I really hoped not to have
> to distribute an executable... the script is very simplistic right now:
> it just defines some configuration variables at the top, and uses them
> to read a POV-Ray include file, extract objects and material names, and
> write some resulting files.

  Perhaps you could write several versions of the script for the scripting
languages that are most "native" to each of the three major operating
systems. IIRC there's some scripting language that Windows supports
out-of-the-box, and on the linux side you have plenty to choose from
(one to consider, if possible, is using shell scripting, if its features
are enough, as that's the most ubiquitous in unix/linux). On the Mac you
could look at AppleScript, which is supported natively (or if the shell
scripting works, it should work there as well, although Mac users are not
very accustomed to using the command line).

--
                                                          - Warp