POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Welcome to the future : Re: Welcome to the future Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Welcome to the future
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2011 04:07:24
Message: <4da6ab3c@news.povray.org>
On 13/04/2011 04:55 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/13/2011 0:55, Invisible wrote:
>> And this is why DRM will never work. As long as at least one device
>> exists
>> which ignores DRM, the system is trivially broken.
>
> In that sense of trivial, it's already trivially broken, because there
> are no secrets involved. To play encrypted media, you have to decrypt it
> on the customer's equipment, meaning the customer has in his hands
> everything he needs to know to bypass the DRM.

It would be harder to crack if you invented some new storage format and
then made all devices capable of playing it respect the DRM. (In
particular, this means not making it playable on a PC.) Trouble is, as I
say, as soon as one company manufactures a device that ignores the DRM,
everything is ruined forever.

On the other hand, if you can see it, you can copy it. At least until
they ban video recording equipment...