POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Animate Text Around a Sphere : Re: Animate Text Around a Sphere Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:52:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animate Text Around a Sphere
From: Stephen
Date: 9 Apr 2011 04:48:07
Message: <4da01d47$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/04/2011 12:20 AM, Alain wrote:
> Then, don't use a modeler for your text but use the text primitive to
> create your individual letters. Unless a letter appears 100's times,
> you'll use much less memory, you'll save parsing and loading time, and
> the difference in render time won't be that important. Also, no faceting
> nor mesh artefacts.
>
> Anyway, the letters from those modelers are mesh objects, one mesh
> object per letter, even for a word, with duplicated letters in the word
> as several meshes.

As StephenS pointed out.
Bishop3D exports SDL code.

> Missusing union causes many "Sould have more than one
> objects in CSG".

Yes my constant companion. :-(
But a necessary evil.

> It also makes your code ugly.

I can't say that I agree with either you or StephenS. Machine written
code is never elegant, from the little I've seen. So what difference
does an extra line or two make?
Anyway it is years since we have had the coders ranting on about how
using a SDL modeller is an affront to the very idea of Pov-Ray.

--
Regards
     Stephen