POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a challenge of sorts : Re: a challenge of sorts Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a challenge of sorts
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 8 Apr 2011 18:31:41
Message: <4d9f8ccd$1@news.povray.org>

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_1#Changes_and_New_Features_Summary

> Nice list!
>
>> I also thought this make a cool collaborative effort. I want to get
>> something that /POPS/ ...
>
> hmmmm that's a challenge!
>
>> so I guess I'd like to see if some of you top
>> echelon artists might like to add to the effort. Lately there's also
>> been some pretty cool techniques flying around in this news group and I
>> think SDL is a strong point of povray so, some of the macros that have
>> been posted could be put to good use ...
>>
>> I'd to tie the end product into a distribution scene file ... maybe a
>> "the making of" story/tutorial/whatever
>>
>> Too much blue sky?
>
> Do we have the original pov scene for the initial image ?
> (Or did I missed something in thinking that the "contest" is about
> making a banner with "Persistence of Vision" string ?)
>
> Wouldn't a variation of the benchmark scene miss the goal ?
> (ouch, kind of double negative question... )
>
> I enjoyed lately the easter-egg with painted pattern, it might be a nice
> replacement for the O of vision (there is already a sphere in the P with
> the logo, so it can get replaced), See Jim Holsenback 20/03/2011.
>
> One I from vision (1st ?) could get a replacement by a candle (would it
> integrate well ? See Bruno Cabasson 18/2/2011 post) with SSLT/...
>
> One other letter could get replaced by some collection of grains ?
> (Samuel Benge).. or it could be the horizontal line : replaced with a
> dry-stone wall with a bit more vertical dimensions (and variation of the
> grains size along the wall)

exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about ... spelling out povray
with shapes, kind of a stylized letter approach. also want to work the
tag-line "Persistence of Vision" as flat text (object pattern or
something like that) as part of the background or ground plane ... oh
and I'm going to buck tradition here a request no checkered planes