POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a challenge of sorts : Re: a challenge of sorts Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a challenge of sorts
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 8 Apr 2011 17:47:10
Message: <4d9f825e$1@news.povray.org>
Le 08/04/2011 21:54, Jim Holsenback nous fit lire :
> On 04/08/2011 03:53 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> Le 07/04/2011 21:26, Jim Holsenback nous fit lire :
>>> I was thinking it's about time to change our documentation lead in
>>> image:
>>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/File:DocImgPovlogotext.jpg
>>>
>>> Now I'm /not/ proposing a contest as the only prize would be your
>>> personal satisfaction, well OK you might get a credit in the docs for
>>> the image.
>>>
>>> What I'm looking for ... the pov-logo /has/ to be part of it, uses one
>>> or two new features, png format. Size of current image OK but /must/ be
>>> less than 680px wide.

> yes ... subsurface is one. let's see ... backside diffuse, area
> illumination ... mesh_cam allows texture baking. several new pigment
> patterns, and a new shape, use of hdr/exr light maps:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_1#Changes_and_New_Features_Summary

Nice list!

> I also thought this make a cool collaborative effort. I want to get
> something that /POPS/ ...

hmmmm that's a challenge!

> so I guess I'd like to see if some of you top
> echelon artists might like to add to the effort. Lately there's also
> been some pretty cool techniques flying around in this news group and I
> think SDL is a strong point of povray so, some of the macros that have
> been posted could be put to good use ...
>
> I'd to tie the end product into a distribution scene file ... maybe a
> "the making of" story/tutorial/whatever
>
> Too much blue sky?

Do we have the original pov scene for the initial image ?
(Or did I missed something in thinking that the "contest" is about
making a banner with "Persistence of Vision" string ?)

Wouldn't a variation of the benchmark scene miss the goal ?
(ouch, kind of double negative question... )

I enjoyed lately the easter-egg with painted pattern, it might be a nice
replacement for the O of vision (there is already a sphere in the P with
the logo, so it can get replaced), See Jim Holsenback 20/03/2011.

One I from vision (1st ?) could get a replacement by a candle (would it
integrate well ? See Bruno Cabasson 18/2/2011 post) with SSLT/...

One other letter could get replaced by some collection of grains ?
(Samuel Benge).. or it could be the horizontal line : replaced with a
dry-stone wall with a bit more vertical dimensions (and variation of the
grains size along the wall)