POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Animate Text Around a Sphere : Re: Animate Text Around a Sphere Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:36:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animate Text Around a Sphere
From: Stephen
Date: 8 Apr 2011 16:15:13
Message: <4d9f6cd1@news.povray.org>
On 08/04/2011 7:54 PM, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
>>> Why put each leter in an union? Each leter is an object and can be
>>> manipulated as such.
>>>

>> It is a technique for when you are using a modeller that does not have
>> a local axis.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. If you refer to the need
> to apply individual transformations to each letter, then you
> can use an "object" instead of a "union".

When you use a modeller like Moray or Bishop3D you cannot have anything
other than the Text object being on a plane. So to have the letters at a
constant distance from the centre or rotation without using any
mathematics, I create a letter at the origin and move it in the Z axis
to the correct position. Then I create a union at the origin and add the
letter. Next I copy the union and change the letter, repeat until I have
a word or phrase. I would then adjust the kerning manually by rotating
each union. To simplify orbiting the letters I create a final union at
the origin and add the other unions then translate and rotate the final
union.
It sounds a roundabout way of doing it but in reality it is very simple
and quick. If I were using Moray there would be no need to create unions

--
Regards
     Stephen