POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2,296 grains : Re: 2,296 grains Server Time
17 May 2024 08:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2,296 grains
From: stbenge
Date: 7 Apr 2011 19:51:09
Message: <4d9e4ded@news.povray.org>
On 4/4/2011 1:57 PM, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> One interesting tidbit I had found about the Voronoi digrams when I had looked
> at them a few years ago, is that they can be defined by projecting each point
> vertically to a hyperboloid and defining a plane tangent to the hyperboloid at
> this point.  The voronoi diagram of a set consists of the intersections of these
> planes.

I've read about using /parabolas/ (Fortune's algo) for the creation
Voronoi cells, but am at a total loss about how to go about it. Your
description seems clearer than Wikipedia's and Wolfram's. (did you  mean
parabolas, not hyperboloids?)

There's also the problem of using binary search trees. I haven't even
tried to develop one yet, but like quad/octrees, their creation appears
to be a very difficult undertaking. Maybe it's my frame of reference
(POV) that is giving me trouble, or my total lack of formal math
training. One of these days I'm going to need to have an understanding
of such structures (if I ever expect to finish a video game :D).

Sam