POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Quadtrees/Octrees: Possible with POV's SDL? : Re: Quadtrees/Octrees: Possible with POV's SDL? Server Time
27 Jun 2024 14:38:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quadtrees/Octrees: Possible with POV's SDL?
From: stbenge
Date: 31 Mar 2011 16:56:17
Message: <4d94ea71@news.povray.org>
On 3/31/2011 12:59 PM, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
>> I'm trying to find an efficient way to test all points within a set
>> against each other. Quadtrees/octrees seem like the way to go, but...
>> it appears that I need arrays containing vectors with other arrays
>> mixed in. POV doesn't allow that sort of thing.
>
> You might be better off exporting data from another programming
> language. Also, how to proceed might depend on whether your main
> focus is on non-intersection (where you only need to track close
> neighbors) or gravity simulation (where you need to consider
> points that are farther away as well. Better than efficient
> tests is of course if you can avoid having to test each
> point against every other point.

Currently all I want to do is find close neighbors. If I export that
data I would probably have one array for the point vectors and another
array as a list of pointers tracking said neighbors. I might even be
able to use one of the Voronoi libraries, depending on how accessible
the data is.

> Your scene reminds me a bit of astronomical simulations for
> star/galaxy formation and the likes.

The animation I posted was just an interesting side effect caused by a
small adjustment. If I take it any further, I would keep the attractive
force of each point localized, with a radius slightly larger than the
repulsive force. In this way I could model certain fluids. I would then
only really need to track the close neighbors...

> Their point counts are now
> over the 10 billion makr (i.e. 10^10) ;) Typically these use
> a hierarchical data structure, i.e. you group points into
> clumps of matter and over longer distances only consider
> the total attraction between increasingly larger clumps,
> ignoring the constituent points.

Wow, that sounds very interesting!