POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : bounded by, clipped by and polyedra : Re: bounded by, clipped by and polyedra Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bounded by, clipped by and polyedra
From: Alain
Date: 28 Mar 2011 14:32:33
Message: <4d90d441@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
> I need to ray trace a quadric (hyperbola or sphere) clipped by a prism with
> arbitrary polygonal base or clipped by e tetraedron. The scene is composed by
> several of these patches. What is the best method to do this?
> I tried by triangulating the mesh of the prism but it seems that the mesh object
> cannot be used inside a bounded_by or clipped_by statement.
> Any suggestion?
> Thanks,
> Sergio

You can use the prism or the tetraedron directly.
It's the only way if you are using version 3.6.

You can try to use the interior_vector on those meshes. (you need to use
version 3.7 to have that feature)

Normaly, a mesh is just an infinitely thin shell with no defined
interior/exterior relationship.
Bounded_by and clipped_by need a clear interior/exterior for the used
object.

Adding an interior_vector to your mesh enable that distinction.
(need version 3.7)

Alain