POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Calibrate your monitor, or simply ... : Re: Calibrate your monitor, or simply ... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 09:28:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calibrate your monitor, or simply ...
From: scott
Date: 22 Mar 2011 10:01:44
Message: <4d88abc8$1@news.povray.org>
> My theory is that the set of aesthetically pleasing images which look good on
> properly calibrated monitors will all have a similar histogram.

It surely depends on the content of the image (skiing scene, sunny
beach, overcast fields, moon at night)?  Did you pick a few random
images (eg from google or flickr) that look good and compare the
histograms?  My expectation is that they would be quite different.

> I would guess that when you write an algorithm for a digital camera to chose
> exposure time, you'd just leave the shutter open long enough to hit some target
> RGB value.

Indeed, usually the camera tries to get the average pixel value to
something like 17%.  On more expensive cameras you can select the region
over which this average is done (entire frame, center weighted, spot,
etc).  This works well enough most of the time, but a serious
photographer will use manual exposure and look at the histogram.  A good
example is snow, auto exposure usually gives pictures that look way too
dark (I assume because the camera's "17% rule" is assuming the sky to be
way brighter than the ground, in snow it often isn't).

Usually you can't just take the range of pixel brightnesses and map this
to 0-255, a small number of very dark and very bright pixels will cause
most of the image to lie between 100 and 140 or something and look very
washed out overall.