POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : glow with shine around the object : Re: glow with shine around the object Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: glow with shine around the object
From: Alain
Date: 20 Mar 2011 12:52:07
Message: <4d8630b7$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi!
>
> I have a huge scene where I have many many objects with glowing media inside
> "interior { media { emission<0.6,0.8,1>*.05 } }". How can I create a shine
> around these glowing objects without post processing? Can this be done with fog
> or media? The Light-saber approach where one needs to create a larger version of
> these objects, putting some other media inside would not be possible for me.
>
> Any Ideas anyone?

The normal way is to add some slightly larger object around the
concerned object and fill that with a media using a spherical or
cylindrical pattern.

Fog can't do what you want.

The outer object don't need to ba a larger version of your object. It
just need to surround the part(s) you want to shine.

The fact that your scene is huge and that there are many glowing objects
will make this tedious.

Clipka's suggestion looks promising, but will be computionaly intensive.
It may be possible to place refractive objects with averaged normals
around your glowing objects. Low ior (no more than 1.1) and STRONG
normals, NO reflection and NO highlight on those.
This way, the added computations are limited to the area surrounding the
glowing objects.
It will render slower than the added emissive media objects.

Alain