POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thought for future pattern type - array : Re: Thought for future pattern type - array Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for future pattern type - array
From: clipka
Date: 18 Mar 2011 16:27:25
Message: <4d83c02d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.03.2011 21:12, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:
> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> Your prior postings already had me thinking about that, too. Should be
>> pretty straightforward to implement - I guess the biggest problem would
>> be to decide on a syntax ;-)
>
> array MyArray
>
> Would likely be simple enough.  The means are already there to poll the array to
> check the number of dimensions and size if needed.  Would just require MyArray
> to be pre-defined and filled with numerical floats.

Another interesting option would be to alternatively allow for color
values, in which the array content might directly serve as the pigment.

> Would there be a need to declare the array on-the-fly?  I.e. in the array
> pattern statement, rather than being pre-declared?  This may require declaring
> of array dimensions and sizes much like mesh2, or it could be declared similar
> to splines.

I don't think that would be of much added value.

> Another item of thought would be is there any need to have it a) appear only
> once, with a value of 0 (or 1) outside the<0,0,0><1,1,1>  cube, similar to
> density_file pattern behaviour, or have it repeat on each axes, similar to other
> patterns like checker, image_map.  Either way it isn't difficult to manipulate
> the pattern in POV to replicate the other.  A general intuitive or easy
> implementation may be similar to image_map, where it repeats endlessly, but the
> keyword 'once' can be specified.

Actually I was thinking of adding the "once" keyword to density files as
well; at the moment the implementation appears to be quite inconsistent
when interpolation is involved.