POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thought for future pattern type - array : Re: Thought for future pattern type - array Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for future pattern type - array
From: stbenge
Date: 18 Mar 2011 14:49:51
Message: <4d83a94f@news.povray.org>
On 3/18/2011 11:31 AM, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> stbenge<"egnebts<-inverted"@hotmail.com>  wrote:
>> This can be accomplished with nested gradient x/y/z patterns and
>> color_map #while loops.
>
> I know it can be done this way presently and there are other workarounds, but
> this was just an idea to seed for future consideration.
>
> Also, for the particular circumstance I encountered at present, I would need
> much more than 128 or 256 cells.
>
> Writing procedural nested gradients can become an awkward task at times.
> Availability of an 'array' pattern would simplify this considerably, and I could
> see other potential uses for it when other patterns like "cell" or "checker"
> etc, don't give the control you'd want.  It would kind of be like a
> user-controlled cell pattern or an expanded checker or tile type pattern.  Also
> having it as a simple pattern would allow it to be easily manupulated using
> functions.

I just thought I'd throw it out there :) It's a terrible method for all
the reasons you mentioned, plus it's a big memory hog :(

An editable array pattern would indeed be a great thing, could be used
for all sorts of things... Even better yet would be the option to
specify linear or cubic blending between cells, and a way to instantly
turn an object pattern into an array pattern.

A few averaged object->array patterns of varying resolutions would make
proximity patterns easy to create :D

Sam