POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thought for future pattern type - array : Re: Thought for future pattern type - array Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for future pattern type - array
From: stbenge
Date: 18 Mar 2011 13:51:16
Message: <4d839b94$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/18/2011 9:59 AM, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> With some of the experiments I have been working on lately I though of a
> potential pattern type that could be developed for future consideration:
> array
>
> You would basically create a 1D,2D or 3D array with as many elements as you
> would like and assign values to each element, then the pattern would fill a 1
> unit cube space, similar to density_file pattern.

This can be accomplished with nested gradient x/y/z patterns and
color_map #while loops.

You can have a total of 256x256x256 cells if you don't mind linear
blending, 128x128x128 if you want sharp transitions.

Or if you're feeling brave, you can have as many units for each
dimension you want, provided you are willing to exercise a little
ingenuity to overcome the 256-entry-limit for color_maps.

The resulting 'array' renders very quickly once all the values are set,
but therein lies the problem: /each/and/every/ color_map entry needs to
be set, which means the entire 3D loop structure needs to run its course.

I used nested gradient patterns for the fastProx/fastSSS macros, and it
seemed to work rather well!

A native array pattern would be better, especially if you could assign
the values you need, when you need them, without having to loop through
the entire thing.

Sam