POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Idea regarding crevice grime : Re: Idea regarding crevice grime Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idea regarding crevice grime
From: clipka
Date: 12 Mar 2011 02:55:12
Message: <4d7b26e0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.03.2011 00:50, schrieb stbenge:

> IME, the best (not to mention the most accessible) way to do this is to
> use a proximity pattern, which is basically just an object pigment
> blurred in 3D space. The advantage of using proximity patterns is that
> you can obtain *outside*edge* data as well as inside edge data.
>
> Any other AO-like ray tracing/casting method would require some new
> routines to be added into POV's rendering core... but I could be wrong.
> (anything can be done if you're willing to wait through a long render)

Trevor's idea was actually the path I followed with my earlier attempt
at a proximity pattern. Code-wise it was not much of a change, as
radiosity already has everything that's needed, even including some
optimization. However, it could not do outside edges, and the approach
also didn't allow for choosing only a subset of objects to affect the
pattern - it would always use the complete scene.

My next attempt would probably be based on the "blurred object"
approach; syntax-wise it might even be a simple extension to the object
pattern. But don't hold your breath.