POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 : Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Mar 2011 12:50:39
Message: <4d7a60ef$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'm not sure how that would work. All the mass in those particles would
> need to be compressed into a volume smaller than the Schwarzschild radius
> of those masses, which is really, really small. Could we be hitting the
> limits of planck volumes?

Wikipedia implies a mass the hole of the moon would be about 1/10th a
milimeter in diameter. (Altho, technically, you'd have to measure the
circumference, as the diameter would actually be infinite.)

>   Perhaps if you get enough particles close enough to each other by
> colliding them all at the same time, you could get a mass that is so
> dense that it's smaller than its own Schwarzschild radius.

That's basically what you have to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Evaporation

Given that, I'm pretty sure this is exactly the kind of situation where QM
and GR conflict, so I'm not sure any of this is other than speculation.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"