POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 : Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639
From: Warp
Date: 11 Mar 2011 12:28:02
Message: <4d7a5ba1@news.povray.org>
> Am 07.03.2011 14:26, schrieb Invisible:

> >> Take any mass and collapse it down small enough and it'll become a black
> >> hole. Once it reaches a critical ration of mass/volume, then you'll have
> >> a black hole. It may not last too long, or it may; and if it does, it
> >> would be rather irresponsible to create one so close to our own planet.
> >
> > But if you have a small mass, why would it be crushed to a small size?

> Non-gravitational external force. Smash two particles into each other
> hard enough, and you /might/ get them close enough together that they
> can't escape each other's gravitational well anymore.

  I'm not sure how that would work. All the mass in those particles would
need to be compressed into a volume smaller than the Schwarzschild radius
of those masses, which is really, really small. Could we be hitting the
limits of planck volumes?

  And this assumes that the "volume" of the particles (if that term even
makes sense at quantum levels) gets smaller when particles hit each other.
It's not like particles are little balls that get compressed when they hit
each other.

  Perhaps if you get enough particles close enough to each other by
colliding them all at the same time, you could get a mass that is so
dense that it's smaller than its own Schwarzschild radius.

  Btw, AFAIK in theory eg. a black hole with the mass and charge of an
electron (assuming such a thing is physically possible) would basically
be indistinguishable from a normal electron. (Ok, maybe it would behave
differently in collisions with other particles. I don't know enough of
physics to say for sure.)

--
                                                          - Warp