POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HELP! How do I get out of "My Documents" ? : Re: HELP! How do I get out of "My Documents" ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP! How do I get out of "My Documents" ?
From: Tim Riley
Date: 10 Mar 2011 14:28:29
Message: <4d79265d$1@news.povray.org>
On 09-Mar-11 17:10, Robert McGregor wrote:
> "Mike the Elder"<nomail@nomail>  wrote:
>> How do I tell POV-Pay to look for POVRAY.ini somewhere BESIDES "My Documents"?
>>
>> I'm setting it up on an office machine that has a morning user, but that will be
>> free for rendering use at night.
>>
>> I don't want ANYTHING POV-Ray related in "My Documents" (I also don't wish to
>> set up multiple users.) Once I get it to read POVRAY.ini, I can easily do the
>> rest with "Library_Path".
>>
>> It's an XP Pro system in case that matters.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for all replies.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Mike C.
>
> Chris Cason would know, but it /is/ irritating to say the least. I do miss the
> good ol' days when everything was in the application directory.
>
> It's ironic to me that INI files (INItialization files) used to be stored in
> their application directory and would determine the initialization of various
> app settings, and now they're scattered all around the hard disk and mapped to
> some crazy registry keys in multiple places and for multiple users, so the app
> has to look up the keys that tell it how to find the files that tell it how to
> initialize its settings... /sigh

Security. Ever since Vista, the user has to have Administrative privileges to write to
the "Program Files" directory, so
any file that might get updated during runtime has to be in a directory that the user
has write privileges for (i.e. the
"\Documents and Settings\<username>" directory where the "My Documents" directory
resides"). It is easiest to assume
that the user _doesn't_ have Administrative privileges to simplify the installation
process. Mr. C can elaborate.