POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Database Questions : Re: Database Questions Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Database Questions
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Mar 2011 11:51:22
Message: <4d79018a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> On 09/03/2011 05:11 PM, Darren New wrote:
>
>> I think they turned off the encryption of the low bits back in Clinton's
>> timeframe, when other countries started threatening to launch their own
>> satellites. I think civilian GPS is quite accurate now.
>
> My satnav device cannot accurately determine which motorway I'm on.

Yeah, and your calculator can't run DOOM. We already know you make bad
technology purchase choices.  ;-)

> Given that a six-lane motorway isn't exactly small, this implies a very
> large inaccuracy in the GPS location.

No, it implies a crappy GPS receiver.

Plus, GPS while you're moving is somewhat harder to get accurate than GPS
while you're stationary. The way you get millimeter precision even when the
encryption is turned on is to leave the receiver in the same place for a
couple of days, integrating the position samples.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"