POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Database Questions : Re: Database Questions Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Database Questions
From: Tom Austin
Date: 9 Mar 2011 17:06:55
Message: <4d77f9ff$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/9/2011 3:14 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>> The problem is that we have to get jobs out for the client now and
>> might not physically have the time to do it right.
>
> I grok. Why can't you use the old system, tho.

A desire to just get rid of it and not try to morph it.
It is one of those things - until you grasp how broken it was it doesn't
seem logical.

>> Yes, but makes the application have to perform less and changes where
>> the work is done.
>
> The real advantage is you can change what's stored underneath (like,
> say, changing the primary keys, or changing whether you talk about
> "attachments" or "spans") without updating the application. You
> rearrange the database, rewrite the views, but all your calculation code
> etc stays the same.

that sounds like fun :-)

I like the idea - now to try to sell it....

>> I was referring to the situation where a piece of data was not
>> accounted for in the database. You must define ground rules for the
>> database so you can define the piece of data and know where it
>> actually should get stored. We have been lacking in such definition.
>
> Well, yes, it's hard to store data you don't know about. :-)
>
> I was simply talking about the addition of new types of data after you
> already have the existing data defined.

yes, that can work well.  But it good to have rules as to how to define
the new data so that the db is not peppered with ad-hocs.

Like - does this belong with make ready or the current state of the pole....

> Ah, welcome to the club. ;-) That's why I like being boss.

can be difficult if you someone in the group has a strong personality.

>> What is the practicality of storing the images in the DB as a field
>> (blob or something else)?
>
> Well, it'll certainly make things slow. If you want to store them in a
> database rather than the file system, *this* is a perfect use case for
> having a second database. :-) Make them blobs in the second database,
> and refer to them from the first database.
>
> The benefits of doing this are that you get easy access to the pictures
> from the same place you have any of the other data (i.e., you don't have
> to figure out how to set up network shares, your login information can
> control access to the pictures, etc.). But you also have the advantage
> that you don't have to back up the database as often, you can put it on
> a different partition or a different server, etc. (For example, say the
> customer FTPs the pictures to you. You could pull the pictures out of
> the incoming directory and put them into the PolePicture blob database
> when you created the pole record in the primary database that references
> the picture. Then you could leave the pictures on the FTP server until
> you back up the blob database at the end of the week/month/whatever,
> whereas you'd probably want to be replicating the actual transactional
> database live.)
>
> So generally that's what I'd recommend. Be sure to write the code to
> fetch the pictures modularly, so you can move it to an entirely
> different server with an entirely different connection string if it gets
> too big or something.
>
> And read up on the technical details of how blobs are handled in
> storage, so you don't wind up configuring yourself into a corner or
> something. :-)

Thanks for the tips - for the image files I don't know if it will go to
blobs or stay files simply because of making working with the files more
complex.  But leaving the files as is adds complexity as well.  <sigh>