POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Database Questions : Re: Database Questions Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Database Questions
From: Tom Austin
Date: 9 Mar 2011 12:42:07
Message: <4d77bbef$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/8/2011 4:31 PM, Darren New wrote:
> The absolute best way to make this work out, then, is to record
> "reality" in the database. Ignore how you're going to use the data while
> you're designing what's in the database (to the extent possible).
> Instead, simply record facts.
>
> What I'm trying to say is don't say "our calculations would be easier if
> our data was arranged like *this*." If you stick with the reality of
> what's out there, you will never run into the situation where you have
> to *change* data you already have in the database.
>
> I know this sounds kind of vague, and it can be hard to get away from it
> if you already have a model of something up and running and you know how
> that works.

I am realizing this - I believe that our current model is not yet too
bad in this regard.  It basically reflects reality.  We just need to
lock it down a bit more.

Your tips here will help us move forward more quickly.  We do get mired
down in how to make the data usable.

I do need to consider usability somewhat to make sure that the data that
is needed makes it into the system.