POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Database Questions : Database Questions Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Database Questions
From: Tom Austin
Date: 8 Mar 2011 09:21:09
Message: <4d763b55$1@news.povray.org>
A change for all of you database experts to shine....

I am working with a group to set up a new database system to handle our
core work flow data.

We have a working model of the database but are considering some changes
that affect the core of how it operates and I am seeking input as to
some best/worst practices.

Any insight into the following issues/questions would be most greatly
appreciated.

1.  Is the practice of creating separate databases for each 'job'
considered good or bad?  Is this answer different based on using MS
Access .mdb files vs using a MySQL Database engine?

2.  How is creating references across databases viewed?
       Example - one database with definitions of data with many other
databases referencing the definitions.

3.  Normalizing vs Flattening?  At what point is a database 'too'
normalized and does it matter?  Do you have some thoughts on joins using
text data types instead of integer numbers?

For further reading, some background...

Our core business is surveying utility/telephone poles to put new fiber
optic cables on them.  We propose changes to the pole (moving cables)
and prepare reports/applications for our client to get on the pole.

We collect and store our data in databases.
In the past we have used separate MS Access .mdb databases for each 'job'.
We are developing a new database system to take care of some severe
shortcomings of the old system.
Our data has a lot of common 'choose from' items - such as the owner of
the pole.
The data consists of pole specific information that doesn't change
(owner, height, etc) and information that will likely change (the height
of cables on the pole).

Thanks for any insight or info that you may provide.

Tom