POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prices in America? : Re: Prices in America? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:12:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prices in America?
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 8 Mar 2011 08:53:05
Message: <4d7634c1$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/4/2011 8:30 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 04/03/2011 13:13, Stephen a écrit :
>>
>> I did not know that about paracetamol in the US. My doctor gave me a
>> prescription for it so I can get it in bulk. Although it is "over the
>> counter" here in the UK, you are not allowed to buy more than two
>> packets at the one time.
>
> This is due to the lethality of paracetamol.
> Destroying the liver is a bad omen for your survival.
> And it's so easy: 4g / 24h and it's already toxic.

Plain ol' paracetamol is over the counter in the US, in doses that would
probably make your head spin anywhere else. 500 to 650mg pills, in 30 to
90 count bottles. It's the additives that start moving it up the list of
'controlled substances'. All of the co-codamols are schedule III in the
US, requiring a prescription and a doctor to justify why they give them
out; and they still only give out #3s. The other mixes are not mentioned
much. Darvon+paracematol was schedule IV, less paperwork for the
doctors, but is being recalled because someone thought 650mg of para
taken 4 to 6 times a day was dangerous. Hydro-codone + para is still
schedule III, everything else is schedule II. And if it is scheduled,
you will need a doctor to sign a prescription for it. Not that customs
at the airport will stop you for bringing them in, a friend's dad
brought in several boxes of co-codamols from London, when I joked that
they were not as easily purchased in the US. He just went to different
pharmacies to get the two box limit several times over.

OTC, you can get stuff like caffine and phenyltoloxamine, or allergy or
sleep meds mixed with them. But nothing that helps for pain.

now to sit back and watch this post set off every spam alarm ever made.