POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : make failure : Re: make failure Server Time
4 May 2024 08:32:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: make failure
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 7 Mar 2011 06:06:37
Message: <4d74bc3d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 07/03/2011 10:26, Anton Sherwood a écrit :
> I use the Unix version on MacOS.  I recently got a new Intel Mac and it
> occurred to me that Povray might run faster if I recompile it, rather
> than running a PPC version under emulation.  But make failed:
>
> $ make
> make  all-recursive
> Making all in libraries
> Making all in png
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> $
>
> Clues?

Which version of povray are you trying to compile ? (3.7RC3 or 3.6.2, or
even older ?)

My classical usage of the recent tar-balls (3.7):
 1. extract the tar
 2. go into the first level directory
 3. ./configure COMPILED_BY="Anton Sherwood <...>"
(I also add --disable-io-restrictions , but that's personal)
 4. make -j 12
 5. sudo make install
(assuming the file ./unix/povray has been created by step 4)

Instead of 5, you can also try "./unix/povray --benchmark" if you have
installed at least once (so that the include files are at the right place)

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.