POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing - my story : Re: Raytracing - my story Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing - my story
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 5 Mar 2011 19:54:15
Message: <4d72db37$1@news.povray.org>
Leroy Whetstone wrote:

>  Yes! Yes I did. But someone else did the hard work of working with the
> 'original NASA elevation data' and made a very large image map. The only
> trouble is that you don't get much fine detail.

Was this from the 1992 Mars Digital Terrain Model? With Mars Express
and Mars Reconnaisance Orbiter there are now better data available, no
global coverage though.

Dang ... there went my evening ;) There are lots of strips for HRSC of
Mars Express and a few local mosaics. Best resolution up to 50m/pixel.
Didn't yet find any dtm level data products for MRO. I spent most of
the time converting a vicar file to png - ImageMagick can do it but
returned an 8 bit png with alternating Hi/Lo bytes. It also interlaced
the left and right half of the image in odd/even lines.