POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Numerical approximation of the gravity of a torus : Re: Numerical approximation of the gravity of a torus Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Numerical approximation of the gravity of a torus
From: Warp
Date: 3 Mar 2011 21:17:19
Message: <4d704bae@news.povray.org>
> >   The amount of points is not the problem. It's their distribution that is
> > (either spatial or mass).

> Then make each point the size of a grain of sand, and you have a really,
> really good approximation. That's what I mean.

  I think there's some form of miscommunication here. Points have zero
size. That's irrelevant. The relevant thing is their mass and their
distribution.

> >   You can't just put points of equal mass in whichever way you want inside
> > the torus because you easily end up with uneven density. You have to either
> > distribute the points evenly, or scale their masses according to the local
> > point density. That's the problem I'm trying to figure out.

> Right. Not knowing why you want the answer, I was suggesting that you
> distribute the points evenly and use lots and lots of points.

  I explained it in my first post: I want to make a numerical approximation
of the gravity of a torus, and a way of doing that is to create point masses
inside it.

  Perhaps you should read my first post again. I *want* to get an even
distribution of mass. That's my question: What formula should I use to
get it? I explained the approach in detail, it's just the specifics that
I'm after.

--
                                                          - Warp