POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation : Milkdrop Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Milkdrop
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Mar 2011 17:36:02
Message: <4d7017d2@news.povray.org>
Remember this? ;-)

>> What I can't figure out is
>> how some of the effects that Milkdrop generates are mathematically
>> possible.
>
> OK, you're going to have give me an example... give it over! Pick a
> preset from Milkdrop's standard distribution that epitomizes this
> nearly-impossible effect, and I'll tell you how I *think* it's done.
> Maybe other, more knowledgeable people will join in as well, and we can
> get to the bottom of this thing ;)

Milkdrop has several presets where the screen seems to be covered in
"ink" that somehow "bleeds" in an apparently three-dimensional mannar.

For example, the first attachment. Quite apart from the emboss effect
(which is presumably simple post-processing), different patches of ink
flow down the screen independently, at different rates and in different
directions. And patches somehow *occlude* each other. It's nothing
unusual for newly rendered stuff to occlude existing imagery, but this
preset is doing something altogether more clever.

And then there's the second attachment. It defies my comprehension that
it is somehow possible to do this in realtime. Seemingly thousands of
tiny fingers of colour, all moving and rotating in full 3D. Clearly it's
impossible to hold such a complex structure in memory, so this must be
some kind of 2D trickery with pixel shaders or some such. But I have
absolutely no idea how it's possible. And it looks utterly fantastic, by
the way. It's arguably THE BEST preset in the entire system.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Attachments:
Download 'eg1.jpg' (120 KB) Download 'eg2.jpg' (134 KB)

Preview of image 'eg1.jpg'
eg1.jpg

Preview of image 'eg2.jpg'
eg2.jpg