POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly : Re: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is readingthesensorsincorrectly Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:12:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is readingthesensorsincorrectly
From: clipka
Date: 2 Mar 2011 19:00:34
Message: <4d6eda22$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.03.2011 11:26, schrieb Stephen:

> Rendering on 6 cores keeps the temperature in the high eighties.

That's virtual cores I guess?

> BTW do you know if the "duty cycle" has been disabled in 3.7?

Yup. There had been some discussion whether to re-implement it, but it
was decided not to, because the only purposes why anyone would ever want
to throttle POV-Ray were thought to be keeping the system responsive
(which would be served better by setting the thread priority), and/or
avoiding thermal problems in zero gravity environments (after all that's
the very reason it was implemented in the first place). Looks like
nobody anticipated the power hunger of SSLT then.

But let's see how the recent changes to SSLT affect its power hunger.
I'd expect it to get back closer to normal rendering, as it now traces
most of the rays against the full scene as well, not just the SSLT
object itself.