POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding at Microsoft : Re: Coding at Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding at Microsoft
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Mar 2011 12:16:34
Message: <4d6e7b72@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If you are going to deliberately make compilation times longer,

Nobody wanted the compilation times to be longer.

>   Just because badly designed programs can take long to compile doesn't
> mean it's necessarily so.

I know that. I was just pointing out that #include means some files get
compiled many times, so a line count doesn't really tell you how many lines
were compiled to make a complex system. You don't need to get defensive
about the fact.

I remember reading where one customer had called up an Ada compiler
manufacturer to complain their compiler was slow. The manufacturer asked to
see the code and it was tremendously convoluted in terms of what library
generics it instantiated and so on. The vendor asked why they were doing it
this way, and the customer says "I modeled it on your sample XYZ." The
vendor informs them that sample XYZ is a compiler stress-test designed to
make the compiler run out of resources to ensure the compiler handles it right.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"