POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some people can draw... : Re: Some people can draw... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some people can draw...
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Mar 2011 11:21:16
Message: <4d6e6e7c$1@news.povray.org>
> They are built faster not only because of CAD, better engineering
> practices, standardized materials and whatnot, but because they lack all
> those artsy arabesques and filigrans that adorn all nooks and cranies of
> old buildings. Today it is all about practical, safety and ergonamical
> concerns, any art or attempt at beauty is bare.

Or perhaps it's that, you know, fashions change?

(Plus, building a simple cube is probably vastly cheaper than building
something beautiful. How many people can afford the extra cost?)

> all mirrors, glass and metal tubes covering some gigantic basic
> geometric figure. I guess most people can emulate these in povray SDL
> quite comfortably. Try doing that with old buildings, palaces and
> cathedrals... :D

Oh hell, have you *seen* the geometry that goes into some cathedrals?
It's like a mathematician's dream... or nightmare... I'm not sure which.

I could look at those spandrels all day...