POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some people can draw... : Re: Some people can draw... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some people can draw...
From: nemesis
Date: 2 Mar 2011 11:09:47
Message: <4d6e6bcb$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen escreveu:
> On 01/03/2011 8:22 PM, nemesis wrote:
>> Stephen escreveu:
>> That's not what I see in general: compare our angular, plain and boring
>> architecture engineered with the help of CAD software with that from the
>> baroque period;
>
> I've yet to see a baroque building that was built quicker, safer or
> cheaper than modern buildings.

ah, it is a certain kind of art and beauty in itself to witness a neat
technical solution, isn't it?

They are built faster not only because of CAD, better engineering
practices, standardized materials and whatnot, but because they lack all
those artsy arabesques and filigrans that adorn all nooks and cranies of
old buildings.  Today it is all about practical, safety and ergonamical
concerns, any art or attempt at beauty is bare.

> If you want beauty in modern buildings
> what about St Mary Axe, London, Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, the Pompidou
> Centre Paris? I could go on.

all mirrors, glass and metal tubes covering some gigantic basic
geometric figure.  I guess most people can emulate these in povray SDL
quite comfortably.  Try doing that with old buildings, palaces and
cathedrals... :D

> But I sympathise with your feelings.

a true renascentist, that is, a man from the Renaissance. :)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9