POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding at Microsoft : Re: Coding at Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding at Microsoft
From: scott
Date: 1 Mar 2011 03:39:13
Message: <4d6cb0b1$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, I guess I only spend 90% of my day job and 70% of my spare time
> sat in front of a computer.

I couldn't live without two monitors at work.  The left screen is for
Outlook (which is usually the source of all work I have to do and where
the work goes after I'm done), the right screen is for whatever I'm
currently working on (3D CAD, powerpoint, excel etc).

> So... you put a second monitor there just to fill up the otherwise
> unused space? That seems like a pretty weak justification for something
> so expensive.

The monitors are probably the cheapest part, after the PC box itself,
the laptop, the phone and the furniture it's all sitting on, it really
isn't a cost worth worrying about in comparison with everything else.
Even if it only saves you a couple of minutes each day it's worth it.

> My mind is blown.
>
> 1. What possible use would having 300 windows open actually be?
>
> 2. The human mind can't focus on that many pieces of information at once, so how can
this possibly be useful?

> 3. Wouldn't the computer slow to a crawl as a result? (Well, I guess it depends
*what* the windows are...)

Not 300, but 50 games of online Poker at once:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrGjRO7MFQ