POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding at Microsoft : Re: Coding at Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:12:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding at Microsoft
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Feb 2011 18:39:51
Message: <4d6c3247@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> 1. What possible use would having 300 windows open actually be?

Usually a shell or two on each machine in the company, a monitor widget or
two for each (load, memory, disk usage, etc), pages of documentation, and
(in this particular case) at least a couple of porn windows.  (He got yelled
at several times until he turned his desk to face the door. Most amusing.)

> 2. The human mind can't focus on that many pieces of information at
> once, so how can this possibly be useful?

It's so he doesn't have to log in.

> 3. Wouldn't the computer slow to a crawl as a result? (Well, I guess it
> depends *what* the windows are...)

No.

> No? But then, I guess if you removed the notepad, it would still look
> fairly untidy due to the random stacks of CDs, product boxes, spare CD
> cases, assorted pieces of hardware, and other stuff that my desk has on
> it...

Well, there you go. I have assorted widgets, random web pages, and various
communications devices on my second monitor. When I'm coding, I often have
the code in front of me and the online docs to the right of me.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"