POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding at Microsoft : Re: Coding at Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding at Microsoft
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Feb 2011 15:46:01
Message: <4d6c0989$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/02/2011 08:23 PM, Darren New wrote:

> From the sound of your day job, you don't work seriously with computers
> there. At least, not programming. I don't know if a sys admin type gets
> much out of multiple monitors, but I wouldn't be surprised, given that
> most sys admin types I know have 300+ windows open at any given time,
> without exageration.

My mind is blown.

1. What possible use would having 300 windows open actually be?

2. The human mind can't focus on that many pieces of information at
once, so how can this possibly be useful?

3. Wouldn't the computer slow to a crawl as a result? (Well, I guess it
depends *what* the windows are...)

>> So... you put a second monitor there just to fill up the otherwise
>> unused space?
>
> No. Do you set reference books or note pads on your desk just to keep it
> from looking tidy?

No? But then, I guess if you removed the notepad, it would still look
fairly untidy due to the random stacks of CDs, product boxes, spare CD
cases, assorted pieces of hardware, and other stuff that my desk has on
it...

>> Isn't this the same company who's main web server was running Apache
>> under Linux, and not IIS?
>
> I don't know that it was ever the *main* web server.

I don't have a reliable source to check with.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/