POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding at Microsoft : Re: Coding at Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding at Microsoft
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Feb 2011 15:23:28
Message: <4d6c0440$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> *possible* to have more than two monitors.
>>
>> I'm guessing multiple video cards.
>
> Yeah. I mean, my video card has 2 outputs, but I don't recall seeing any
> with more than that.
>
>>> (I'm still trying to figure out why you'd want two in the first
>>> place...)
>>
>> Because you've never tried it, or you don't seriously work with
>> computers.
>
> Well, I guess I only spend 90% of my day job and 70% of my spare time
> sat in front of a computer.

 From the sound of your day job, you don't work seriously with computers
there. At least, not programming. I don't know if a sys admin type gets much
out of multiple monitors, but I wouldn't be surprised, given that most sys
admin types I know have 300+ windows open at any given time, without
exageration.

>> Does your desk have room for more than just a keyboard and mouse? What
>> else do you put on it?
>
> So... you put a second monitor there just to fill up the otherwise
> unused space?

No. Do you set reference books or note pads on your desk just to keep it
from looking tidy?

>>> I still find it scary that people have written C programs that take
>>> longer than 0.003 seconds to compile. How huge would they have to be?
>>
>> Last one I worked on took about 45 minutes to compile, and it included
>> tons of already-compiled stuff for which we didn't have the source.
>
> OOC, how many million lines was it?

Never counted. I was lucky if I could track down which version of any given
file was compiling, let alone *all* of them.

>> I'm a little surprised they don't seem to use the tools they sell to
>> others.
>
> Isn't this the same company who's main web server was running Apache
> under Linux, and not IIS?

I don't know that it was ever the *main* web server.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"