POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bounding behavior : Re: Bounding behavior Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bounding behavior
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 28 Feb 2011 14:45:34
Message: <4d6bfb5e$1@news.povray.org>
Trevor G Quayle wrote:

> For any CSG, a bounding box is made as a single object that is known to contain
> everything in the CSG.  So for an intersection operation, the bounding box will
> be big enough to contain both (or all) your objects, regardless of how big the
> remaining part is.

Are you sure about this? The intersection of two finite
objects is contained in the intersection of their bounding
boxes so this should be more efficient than you describe.
In fact it seems to work quite well for my intersections,
even though one of the shapes is large.

There is only an issue when intersections turns out
to be empty and I think this is a fixable problem.

> This is even more extreme in difference operations as POV treats them as an
> intersection of the first object with inverses of the subtracting objects.
> Essentially the subtractiong objects are infinite in size.

Of course, an infinite box doesn't help much. Still I'd expect
the bounding box of the difference to be the bounding box of the
original finite object (which is still slow for many holes).