POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding at Microsoft : Re: Coding at Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding at Microsoft
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 28 Feb 2011 11:42:41
Message: <4d6bd081$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/28/2011 10:36 AM, Invisible wrote:

> Damn. Given that compiling something is approximately 80,000x faster
> than writing it... how freaking long did it take to write?! O_O

The software has been around for years. It's a code-base that has
evolved over time, never really restarted from scratch, so it probably
has a lot of historical code in it. Also, keep in mind no just a single
person works on the code base.

>>> Well, you can script that from outside. (That is, you have a check-in
>>> tool that runs whatever tests you want, and then executes the actual RCS
>>> command to check stuff in.)
>>
>> True. We tend to use the GUI front-end for our RCS software, though. ;)
>
> I'm sure even that has hooks for customisation buried within it somewhere.

Probably, no one has been very motivated to dig that far.

--
~Mike