POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding at Microsoft : Re: Coding at Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding at Microsoft
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Feb 2011 07:18:51
Message: <4d6b92ab$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/02/2011 12:02 PM, scott wrote:
>> The idea of a computer having 8GB of RAM is strange and foreign to me.
>> Much less a mere desktop PC.
>
> I guess that's because you've never worked anywhere where they upgrade
> the hardware every 2 years :-)

No, I've never worked for a company that can afford to just upgrade
hardware for no reason other than that a certain number of days have
passed. I would have thought most companies only spend money upgrading
something if it actually needs upgrading. (But then, I've only worked
for one company, so what do I know?)

> BTW 8GB of RAM is about the same price as filling up your car with petrol!

Damn. I had no idea it had got this cheap!

I guess because my motherboard won't handle more than 4GB, I hadn't
bothered looking at the price. Or maybe it's the fact that I haven't
found anything yet that requires more than 2GB of RAM, let alone 4GB...