POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding at Microsoft : Re: Coding at Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding at Microsoft
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 28 Feb 2011 06:40:43
Message: <4d6b89bb$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/28/2011 4:49 AM, Invisible wrote:

> I still find it scary that people have written C programs that take
> longer than 0.003 seconds to compile. How huge would they have to be?

Oh, please.... The soft synth program I've been playing around with
takes about 10-15min to compile. Our flagship CAD and engineering app
where I work takes a good 30-45min to do a full build.

> Also links to some interesting stuff about source control. I'm presuming
> it's talking about the traditional, centralised kind, rather than the
> new-fangled "distributed version control", where every repository is a
> branch.

The RCS he talks about is remarkably similar to how Accurev (the RCS we
use) works. The only thing I think we're missing is the ability to run
automated tasks when an item is checked in.