POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? : Re: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install?
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 27 Feb 2011 02:54:00
Message: <4d6a0318$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/24/2011 4:21 PM, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>> On 2/12/2011 1:15 PM, Shay wrote:
>>> Want to run BB Desktop Manager once a month or so, but don't have a
>>> Windows install. Haven't had one in a while, actually, and don't know
>>> much about it anymore. Is there a cheap one I can buy somewhere or
>>> should I just pick up an old laptop?
>>>
>>> -Shay
>>
>> I assume you mean something for a BlackBerry device? Would a virtual
>> machine, like VirtualBox, run windows well enough to power it? Or did
>> you just mean a cheap computer; there are plenty of those around that
>> cost less than new smart phones.
>
> VirtualBox doesn't include Windows, and Windows is not usually cheap.

I don't know about everywhere else, but being a high tech college town
with lots of turn over in hardware, I have seen Dell and other brand
computers turn up at the thrift stores with the hologram stickers
intact. Whether that is a legal transfer of ownership of the license, I
hadn't actually considered. Those stickers are, in my experience, the
only 'authenticity' that ship with the devices anymore.

And it seemed to my reading that the question included both the hardware
to run windows and the OS to run the BB desktop manager. If it is
against the Windows license to transfer them, my answer can still be
read as just providing for the hardware side.