POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? : Re: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install?
From: scott
Date: 25 Feb 2011 08:48:52
Message: <4d67b344$1@news.povray.org>
>> Incorrect. Take a car that hasn't been in production for the last 10
>> years to a garage and ask for a new part (specific to that car) -
>> they'll likely have a new one in stock somewhere.
>
> Presumably that's because other companies start making replacement parts
> if there's a demand for them.

No I'm talking about original parts, they estimate how many parts will
be needed for the specified service life of the car (typically 12 years
after end of mass production) and build that many before shutting the
production line down.  It would be extraordinarily expensive to produce
just a handful of parts later down the line for a few replacements on
one car.

> I know for a fact that ebuyer did this. However, that was over four
> years ago. They can't possibly have any stock left by now.

According to Wikipedia MS was still selling the OEM version of XP in
2009.  Anyway, just because ebuyer have sold everything they stocked up
on doesn't mean everyone else has too.  It would be quite unlikely that
out of all the shops in the world none overestimated how many copies of
XP they were going to sell.

> No. I'm worried about buying second-hand goods from private individuals,
> rather than from a reputable company. Generally I don't buy anything
> (not just software) from private individuals.

Buy one from Amazon then.