POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? : Re: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:12:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install?
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Feb 2011 07:39:51
Message: <4d67a317$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/02/2011 12:24 PM, scott wrote:
>> If the manufacturer stops making something, you can't buy it any more.
>
> Incorrect. Take a car that hasn't been in production for the last 10
> years to a garage and ask for a new part (specific to that car) -
> they'll likely have a new one in stock somewhere.

Presumably that's because other companies start making replacement parts
if there's a demand for them.

> Lots of companies
> specifically buy up lots of parts before production stops, exactly to be
> able to supply them to people at a later date.
>
> I imagine lots of shops bought a load of XP licenses just before MS
> stopped supplying it

I know for a fact that ebuyer did this. However, that was over four
years ago. They can't possibly have any stock left by now. (And, indeed,
a quick search of their website reveals this to be the case.)

> It doesn't
> seem that implausible to suggest that every XP you see for sale is illegal.

I presume you meant the negation of that sentence?

>> (At least, not new.)
>
> Does "not new" even make sense for a software license, are you worried
> that the last few digits of the license code might start to wear away? :-)

No. I'm worried about buying second-hand goods from private individuals,
rather than from a reputable company. Generally I don't buy anything
(not just software) from private individuals.