POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? : Re: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install?
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Feb 2011 05:23:18
Message: <4d678316$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/02/2011 10:04 AM, scott wrote:
>> It's against the terms of the EULA to resell an XP license if you've
>> used it.
>
> I very much doubt that (unless you got the OEM or some upgrade version).

I don't think I've ever seen a PC with a non-OEM version of Windows
installed. (As far as anyone can tell, "OEM" means "25% cheaper with no
apparent difference in functionality".) However, checking the fine
print, it does appear that there exist versions of Windows for which you
*can* legitimately transfer the license. I didn't know that was possible.

>> (And let's face it, how many people will have paid hundreds of
>> pounds for something and not used it?)
>
> Quite a lot actually, it's called running a shop.

Uhuh. And how many of those copies will have been sold over the last
FOUR YEARS?

Seriously, there's no chance that anybody has any [legal] copies left.