POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DVD production... : Re: DVD production... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DVD production...
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Feb 2011 23:57:15
Message: <4d6736ab$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In the first case, you adjust BITS, or wget, so it logs the audit with
> which application asked it to install the stuff, or something.

If you distinguish "install" from "write files", it's easier, yes. OK, so
firefox downloads and installs Adobe, which includes a plug-in for firefox.
Then you uninstall firefox. What happens? :-)

> In the second case, SQL, since your application should only care how to
> talk to, and maybe where, the SQL is not where the documents end up.

My point is that you wind up having to copy specific records out of a SQL
database when you move the files those records refer to, etc.

Singularity addresses this problem. You have clear distinctions between
executable code and data files and configuration files. You can't install
executable code without it being in a manifest, which gets checked when you
install it to make sure it's compatible with everything else. The
application doesn't get handles to any part of the file system it didn't ask
for in the manifest, so it can't spew config files in odd places. Etc etc
etc.  The only problem is you have to throw out all that code you already have.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"