POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DVD production... : Re: DVD production... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DVD production...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Feb 2011 15:28:56
Message: <4d656e08@news.povray.org>
On 2/23/2011 9:50 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Well, that is true, but they built this mess, and then didn't even
>> consider that an audit log of some sort might be *vaguely* helpful.
>> Just saying...
>
> There *is* an audit log. However, given all possible third-party apps,
> saying "just move the registry entries" doesn't work. If you go from
> \documents and settings\... to \users\... all your registry entries will
> be wrong.

Hmm. To an extent, yeah. But something that could use the audit log of
what got changed, by who, means you could move files like that and
"point" the directory at the right place, at least in principle. Once in
a while you get something that won't play right, but, in general, this
isn't an issue. What bugs me is that even when you *have* the option to
move such things, three things happen:

1. The pointer gets moved.
2. The files don't (gee.. you would think this *might* cause some sort
of issue, maybe?).
3. Some small number of applications will use their registry entry for
where those where, instead of asking the system where they should be now.

These are fixible. My point is, if you know where the damn files where
supposed to be, according to the assumption of the application, and its
changable, you should be able to have that change go through by doing 2
and 3 properly at the same time, since you know there are files in there
the damn thing wrote, and you *also* know while applications are looking
in their *for* those files (at least in principle).

Yeah, you might break something some place, like an app that looks into
someone else's data, which you put in there, but is now looking in the
wrong place, or some cases where more than one is sharing a common
folder, but in that later case, you should know, from any sort of audit
log, which of those files *it* created, so would need to have moved.

Point is, this monolithic mess pretty much precludes any sort of easy
reinstall of *anything*, since any reinstall you make, unless the thing
being altered is *purely* data, not configuration, or other things you
need to work when moved, you are hosed. Got a MySQL thing on here I
don't even want to contemplate installing to a new machine. Not because
I doubt its hard, just likely to be more complicated than it first
seems, precisely *because* its frakking Windows that the thing is
installed on, and that just really makes things way more interesting
when do this stuff. lol