POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday WTF : Re: Friday WTF Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday WTF
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Feb 2011 04:13:39
Message: <4d64cfc3@news.povray.org>
On 23/02/2011 08:44 AM, scott wrote:
>>> Actually, I think nowadays you can set it up for multiple edits and
>>> it'll coordinate.
>>
>> I've never seen that.
>
> It's under the Review ribbon, then "Share Workbook".

Ribbon?

As in, Office 2007 or later?

Well, that'll be why I haven't seen it then. ;-)

> But it only lets
> you change basic stuff when shared (ie just cell contents, not the
> layout, charts, etc), and the changes are only updated when you save the
> file (or I think you can set it to automatically update at regular
> intervals). If two people change the same cell, the first one to save
> will succeed, the second one will get to choose which value to keep.

I bet that's fun if you try to add a new row to the bottom. (This would
of course be a complete non-issue if you used... a database.)

>> I spent six months watching a group of three people in an office. They
>> had an Access database, which everybody had constantly open all day. So
>> clearly that's not the case.
>
> I only worked on Access about 8 years ago so it's probably out of date
> info now, but IIRC you could set up on a per-table basis how much of it
> was locked when opened (entire table, single row, nothing). It also took
> a fair bit of work to get it to play nicely with multiple people opening
> it (ie catching all the errors that might come up, and preventing people
> doing stuff that would screw it up).

It's not something I have a lot of expertise with, but I saw all this
set up 10 years ago, running under Windows 98. It can't be that hard.