POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday WTF : Re: Friday WTF Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday WTF
From: scott
Date: 23 Feb 2011 03:44:34
Message: <4d64c8f2$1@news.povray.org>
>> Actually, I think nowadays you can set it up for multiple edits and
>> it'll coordinate.
>
> I've never seen that.

It's under the Review ribbon, then "Share Workbook".  But it only lets
you change basic stuff when shared (ie just cell contents, not the
layout, charts, etc), and the changes are only updated when you save the
file (or I think you can set it to automatically update at regular
intervals).  If two people change the same cell, the first one to save
will succeed, the second one will get to choose which value to keep.

>> Last I looked, Access was only one user at a time making changes too.
>> The one guy would lean back in his chair and bellow "IS THERE ANYONE IN
>> THE DATABASE?" That was their locking protocol.
>
> I spent six months watching a group of three people in an office. They
> had an Access database, which everybody had constantly open all day. So
> clearly that's not the case.

I only worked on Access about 8 years ago so it's probably out of date
info now, but IIRC you could set up on a per-table basis how much of it
was locked when opened (entire table, single row, nothing).  It also
took a fair bit of work to get it to play nicely with multiple people
opening it (ie catching all the errors that might come up, and
preventing people doing stuff that would screw it up).