POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday WTF : Re: Friday WTF Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:12:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday WTF
From: scott
Date: 22 Feb 2011 09:51:07
Message: <4d63cd5b@news.povray.org>
> Really? I had literally no idea that was possible. In 15 years of using
> Excel, I didn't know about this. (I wonder how many other people didn't.)

Odd, I've seen this used on pretty much every "database" style Excel
workbook from several different companies.  Particularly for "action
list" type databases where it's essential to be able to easily filter
out certain rows.

> I meant stuff like if you have one spreadsheet with all the license
> keys, and another spreadsheet that tells you when each product was
> purchased, you're going to have fun trying to link one to the other.
> With a real database this would be a trivial table join.

Yes, it's quite tricky to get two tables linked in the same way a proper
DB would do it whilst keeping the GUI friendly, but usually there is an
easy enough hack using the lookup and data validation stuff that works.