POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DVD production... : Re: DVD production... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DVD production...
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Feb 2011 22:13:30
Message: <4d6329da$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Yeah. All well in theory, but a lot of stuff is downloads, others are
> from discs that I may not know the location of,

Sure. I'm just saying that when I install crap, one of the install steps is
"store this on the "S:\Software" drive along with a text file saying any
particular pain I had in installing it."  It's advice for next time, not
this time. :-)

> How hard would it have
> really been to track which changes a specific application made to the
> registry, then let you "migrate" the damn things by processing out the
> registry data for it.

The problem with third-party apps is ensuring they only write to the areas
they're supposed to write to. It would be pretty trivial if you could count
on apps only storing stuff in the parts of the file system and registry
where they're supposed to.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"