POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Invisible: PureData : Re: Invisible: PureData Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:11:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible: PureData
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 18 Feb 2011 10:55:31
Message: <4d5e9673@news.povray.org>
On 2/18/2011 8:22 AM, Invisible wrote:

> Mathematica doesn't work this way. The core implements a transformation
> engine, and arbitrary precision math. Beyond that, the parser, the
> printer, the simplification rules, *everything* is Mathematica source
> code, which can be altered at will (if you're so-inclined).
>
> I have no idea about the architecture of Maxima, but it wouldn't
> surprise me. There are advantages to doing it this way. (The main
> disadvantage is performance...)

Yep :) pretty much how Maxima works. You can define your own operators,
their associativity (if any), precedence, and a number of other things.
Rules are defined in much the way you described. They're all written in
Maxima's language. There are a few intrinsic things: assignment,
function calls, and some other syntax glue.... But just about anything
can be defined as just about anything else.

--
~Mike